header eures en 5



Area - 84,421  km2

Population – 6,572,728 (2016)

Official Language – English, Irish, Ulster Scots


Anyone starting employment in Ireland must apply for an Irish Personal Public Service Number (PPS). The Personal Public Service number (PPS Number) is a personal reference number. It helps you to apply for benefits and to get information from public service agencies quickly and easily. This includes services such as Social Welfare, Revenue, Public Healthcare and Education. To obtain a PPS Number you should visit the PPS Number allocation centre for the county that you are living in. For more information please visit: https://www.gov.ie/en/service/12e6de-get-a-personal-public-service-pps-number/.

If you are a member of EU and/ or European Economic Area (EEA) a residence permit is not required. All non-nationals who are not citizens of a Member State of the European Union, the European Economic Area or Switzerland, must register with An Garda Síochána http://www.garda.ie/Controller.aspx?Page=31&Lang=1 

EU/ EEA nationals have the right to live and work in Ireland without a work permit, and have the same rights as Irish nationals with regard to pay and working conditions. 

A non-EEA national (with some exceptions) requires an employment permit to take up employment in Ireland.

Further information:

Employment Permits Section:

Department of Business, Enterprise and Innovation
 Earlsfort Centre

 Lower Hatch Street

Dublin 2

D02 PW01



Before leaving for Ireland you should first look at Irish job opportunities and seek pre-departure advice and information from Eures Advisers in your own country. You can contact them at your local Public Employment Service Office (also see EURES website www.eures.europa.eu).  On arrival, one of your first points of contact for assistance in securing employment and other information on Ireland should be an Irish EURES adviser or your local Intreo office (please note a PPS number may be required in order to obtain any of the services offered by Intreo). Please visit www.euresireland.ie for more information on job search in Ireland.

 EEA nationals have free access to the services of the Irish employment service. Details of vacancies in Ireland can be accessed through any Employment Services Office/ Intreo Office and/or the Jobs Ireland site     www.jobsireland.ie 

Private Recruitment Agencies cannot charge the job seekers for the basic service of registering on their databases. All agencies must be licensed by the Department of Jobs, Enterprise and Innovation. A list of licensed employment agencies is available from the Employment Agency Licensing Section of the Department. For further information log onto   http://www.workplacerelations.ie/en/

Private agencies are also listed under "Employment Agencies" in the Golden Pages Telephone Directory www.goldenpages.ie and at the Agencies’ Association, the National Recruitment Federation www.nrf.ie


Detailed information on taxes and tax reliefs in Ireland can be obtained from the Revenue Commissioners website: www.revenue.ie 

Below you can find some examples of the most common taxes in Ireland:

Income tax 

Your new employer must deduct tax from your pay under the PAYE system. To make sure that your tax is properly dealt with from the start and that your employer deducts the right amount of tax from your pay you should do two things:

  • Give your employer your PPS No. (Personal Public Service Number). He/she will then let the tax office know that you have started work. 
  • Apply for a certificate of tax credits by completing Form 12A (Application for a Certificate of Tax Credits and Standard Rate Cut-Off Point) and sending it to the tax office. Ask your employer for a form 12A. Your employer will tell you to which tax office the completed form 12A should be sent. If your employer does not have a form 12A, you can get one from any tax office or telephone Lo Call 1890 306706. Ideally, you should do all this as soon as you accept an offer of a job - even if it is only part-time or holiday employment. This will give your employer and the tax office time to get things sorted out before your first pay-day. 

What happens next?

There are Personal tax allowances granted to individuals by a system of Tax Credits http://www.revenue.ie/en/tax/it/credits/index.html .

The tax office will send you a Certificate of Tax Credits and Standard Rate Cut-Off Point, which sets out in detail the amount of tax credits due to you. The tax office will also send a Certificate of Tax Credits and Standard Rate Cut-Off Point to your employer which shows the total amount of your tax credits.

When do you start to pay income tax?

You will normally start to pay tax from your first pay-day. The amount of tax you pay depends on your level of pay and the amount of your tax credits. 

Personal income tax rates.


at 20% first

at  40%

Single person 



Married couple/ civil partners  (one income) 



Married couple/ civil partners (two incomes)  

Up to 


(increase limited to the amount of the second income)  


One parent/ widowed parent 



The Universal Social Charge (USC)

 The Universal Social Charge is a tax charged on your gross income before any pension contributions or PRSI. You pay the USC if your gross income is more than €13,000 per year. Once your income is over this limit, you pay the relevant rate of USC on all of your income. 

Value Added Tax (VAT) http://www.revenue.ie/en/tax/vat/index.html is a tax on consumer spending. It is added to the price of most goods and services. The standard rate of VAT in Ireland is 23% although there are some exceptions.

Excise Duties http://www.revenue.ie/en/tax/excise/index.html are taxes levied on consumer items such as alcohol and cigarettes.

Motor Tax is a compulsory tax on all vehicles. A motor tax disc is issued for 3, 6 or 12 months and the rate is calculated by either engine size or CO2 emissions. On the Department of Housing, Planning, Community and Local Government's website you can view the motor tax rates. Motor tax rates are also available at www.motortax.ie and paid online. Alternatively, you can contact the Motor Taxation Office of the local authority for more information and to pay your motor tax.

Capital Acquisition Tax http://www.revenue.ie/en/tax/cat/index.html is paid by the receiver of a gift or inheritance. It does not apply to gifts or inheritance between spouses.

Local Property Tax (LPT) http://www.revenue.ie/en/tax/lpt/index.html  charged on all residential properties in the State came into effect from 1 July 2013. 

Further information:

Revenue Commissioners

9/15 Upper O’Connell Street

Dublin 1

D01 F9C1

Telephone:1890 236336

Callers from outside the Republic of Ireland: +353 1 7023056  

Website:  www.revenue.ie

Text last edited on: 05/2019


Expatriates will find that the cost of living in Ireland is manageable, but varies depending on the town or city, with Dublin being the most expensive place to live.  

According to Mercer’s 2018 Cost of Living Survey, Dublin is the 32nd most expensive city in the world and the most expensive city in the eurozone for expats in terms of cost of living. However expatriates and multinationals in Ireland are typically supported by well-paying jobs that enable them to enjoy a high quality of life. Accommodation will take the biggest chunk of an expat’s salary, followed by groceries, healthcare and education.

 If you consider moving to Ireland, consult the list below which lists the approximate cost for basic necessities in Dublin.

Some examples:

Rent (Dublin City centre) per month per room € 400–  1540

Rent; Co. Dublin - Suburbs per month per room: –  € 350 - 1400

Monthly Bus & LUAS Ticket    € 170.00

Three course meal €25.00– €50.00

Loaf of Bread € 1.80

2 litre Milk:& €1.89

1 litre Orange Juice: €2.00

Eggs half a dozen € 1.99

Cheese (200g) Cheddar: € 2.75

Pasta Sauce: €2.95

Cornflakes: €3.99

McDonalds Quarter Pounder Meal: €6.75

Pint of Guinness: €5.50

Petrol (per litre):  €   1.35

Text last edited on: 05/2019


The Irish education system is made up of primary, second, third-level and further education. Education is compulsory for children in Ireland from the ages of 6 to 16 or until students have completed three years of second-level education. Most children in Ireland begin school at the age of 4. State funded education is available at all levels, unless you choose to send your child to a private institution.

Pre-school education is usually provided by privately funded child-care facilities or providers. Some pre-school initiatives focused on children at risk are funded by the Department of Education and Skills. Legislation on school attendance requires children to be at school (or receiving an education) from the age of 6. In practice, almost all 5-year-olds and about half of 4-year-olds actually attend primary schools. 

The State pays a capitation fee to participating playschools and daycare services. In return, they provide a pre-school service free of charge to all children aged from 2 years and 8 months until they transfer to primary school,  provided that they are not older than 5 years and 6 months at the end of the pre-school year(The Early Childhood Care and Education (ECCE) Scheme). In general, the provision amounts to 3 hours per day, 5 days a week over certain number of weeks for children enrolled in participating playschools.

Primary (first level) education

Children do not have to attend school until the age of six but it is usual for children to begin school the September following their fourth birthday. Four-year-olds and five-year-olds are enrolled in the junior or senior infant classes. Primary schools are generally privately-owned by religious communities (or boards of governors) but are State-funded.

Second level education

Second level education is provided by different types of post-primary schools. That is, secondary, vocational, community and comprehensive schools. Second level education consists of a three-year junior cycle followed by a two-year or three-year senior cycle depending on whether an optional Transition Year is taken following the Junior Certificate examination. Students generally commence the junior cycle at the age of 12. The Junior Certificate is taken after three years.

Third level education

Third level education is made up of a number of sectors. The university sector, the technological sector and the colleges of education are substantially funded by the State. In addition there are a number of independent private colleges. There are seven universities and they are autonomous and self-governing. They offer degree programmes at bachelor, masters and doctorate level. The technological sector includes institutes of technology which provide programmes of education and training in areas such as business, science, engineering, linguistics and music to certificate, diploma and degree levels. The Department of Education and Skills has overall responsibility for the sector. There are five colleges of education. These specialise in training for first level teachers. They offer a three-year bachelor of education degree and an 18-month post-graduate diploma.

Further and adult education

Further education comprises education and training which takes place after second-level schooling but which is not part of the third-level system. It includes programmes such as Post-Leaving Certificate courses; the Vocational Training Opportunities Scheme, programmes in Youthreach for early school-leavers; other literacy and basic education; and self-funded evening adult programmes in second-level schools.

For more information on the Irish education system visit: http://www.citizensinformation.ie/en/education/


The importance of transparency and mutual recognition of diplomas as a crucial complement to the free movement of workers

The possibility of obtaining recognition of one’s qualifications and competences can play a vital role in the decision to take up work in another EU country. It is therefore necessary to develop a European system that will guarantee the mutual acceptance of professional competences in different Member States. Only such a system will ensure that a lack of recognition of professional qualifications will become an obstacle to workers’ mobility within the EU.

Main principles for the recognition of professional qualifications in the EU

As a basic principle, any EU citizen should be able to freely practice their profession in any Member State. Unfortunately the practical implementation of this principle is often hindered by national requirements for access to certain professions in the host country.

For the purpose of overcoming these differences, the EU has set up a system for the recognition of professional qualifications. Within the terms of this system, a distinction is made between regulated professions (professions for which certain qualifications are legally required) and professions that are not legally regulated in the host Member State.

Steps towards a transparency of qualifications in Europe

The European Union has taken important steps towards the objective of achieving transparency of qualifications in Europe:
- An increased co-operation in vocational education and training, with the intention to combine all instruments for transparency of certificates and diplomas, in one single, user-friendly tool. This includes, for example, the European CV or Europass Trainings.
- The development of concrete actions in the field of recognition and quality in vocational education and training.

Going beyond the differences in education and training systems throughout the EU

Education and training systems in the EU Member States still show substantial differences. The last enlargements of the EU, with different educational traditions, have further increased this diversity. This calls for a need to set up common rules to guarantee recognition of competences.

In order to overcome this diversity of national qualification standards, educational methods and training structures, the European Commission has put forward a series of instruments, aimed at ensuring better transparency and recognition of qualifications both for academic and professional purposes.

  1. The European Qualifications Framework

The European Qualifications Framework is a key priority for the European Commission in the process of recognition of professional competences. The main objective of the framework is to create links between the different national qualification systems and guarantee a smooth transfer and recognition of diplomas.

  1. The National Academic Recognition Information Centres (NARICs)

A network of National Academic Recognition Information Centres was established in 1984 at the initiative of the European Commission. The NARICs provide advice on the academic recognition of periods of study abroad. Located in all EU Member States as well as in the countries of the European Economic Area, NARICs play a vital role the process of recognition of qualifications in the EU.

  1. The European Credit Transfer System (ECTS)

The European Credit Transfer System aims at facilitating the recognition of periods of study abroad. Introduced in 1989, it functions by describing an education programme and attaching credits to its components. It is a key complement to the highly acclaimed student mobility programme Erasmus.

  1. Europass

Europass is an instrument for ensuring the transparency of professional skills. It is composed of five standardised documents

  1. a CV (Curriculum Vitae),
  2. a language passport,
  3. certificate supplements,
  4. diploma supplements, and
  5. a Europass-Mobility document.

The Europass system makes skills and qualifications clearly and easily understood in the different parts of Europe. In every country of the European Union and the European Economic Area, national Europass centres have been established as the primary contact points for people seeking for information about the Europass system.


http://www.fas.ie - Irish Organization for Employment and Training

https://www.djei.ie - Ministry of Labour, Business and Innovations

https://www.revenue.ie - Information about Taxation

http://www.doh.ie - Ministry of Health and Children

http://www.welfare.ie - Social Seurity

http://www.irish-times.com - Press Release

http://irlgov.ie - Recognition of Qualifications

 https://www.dohc.ie - Healthcare















Nothing found!

Get up-to-date information on EURES services