header eures en 5


Source: EURES The European Job Mobility Portal. For up-to-date information visit the Living and Working Conditions section about Slovenia on the EURES Portal.

How to find a job

Vacancies are advertised publicly in Slovenia. Employers may publish vacancies with the Employment Service of Slovenia, in the media, on the internet or in publicly accessible business premises. It is compulsory to publish a vacancy notice with the Employment Service only for public sector employers, or a company in majority state ownership.

Large companies may search for new employees through special recruitment sections on their web pages or through social media. Various employment web portals also list published vacancies from employers. Specialised agencies usually offer more demanding employment positions. Work for students and pupils as authorised by the relevant ministries is arranged through student organisations.

A good way of finding work in Slovenia is to look at the ‘hidden’ labour market. You can find out about unpublished vacancies by networking, through direct contacts with employers, at job fairs or in other proactive ways (in professional journals, through business directories or social media).

If you already live in Slovenia, you can register with the Employment Service of Slovenia (ESS). This gives you access to various types of assistance when looking for a job. Via the ‘poiščidelo.si’ portal, the ESS website will help you produce a CV in Slovenian, while the EUROPASS and EURES portals enable you to produce a CV in all European languages and in a variety of formats. This type of web service is also available from some agencies and employers. Neither the ESS nor recruitment agencies may charge a jobseeker to use their placement services.

Text last edited on: 06/2020

How to apply for a job

Apply for a vacancy by sending a cover letter and your CV. Adapt the content of these documents to the employer’s expectations and the job requirements, and use facts and examples to outline what you can bring to the position. Point out what you do have, not what you lack, and never include false or misleading information about yourself. Each paragraph should include four to five sentences, which must not be too long.

Use the cover letter to explain why you are applying for the vacancy and point out why the employer should choose you over the other applicants (what you can bring to the company). Write your application in Slovenian (employers may also accept applications in other languages, most often English).

Cover letters should be accompanied by a CV. The instructions and the web application for creating a CV are available on the EUROPASS and EURES portals. You should not attach your original education certificates or employment references to your job application; instead, bring them to your job interview. You can also present yourself to employers in more innovative ways, such as through a card CV or a video presentation. It is also a good idea to include an appropriate photograph.

Jobs differ and require different knowledge, experience and skills. It is therefore very important to write a different application for every job.

Consider a job interview as a business meeting. The employer’s main purpose in a job interview is to determine whether you are the most suitable applicant for the job. Your aim is to present yourself in the best light. After the interview, analyse how it went and send the employer a thankyou note.

Some employers use personality questionnaires or psychology tests when choosing new staff; they might also view your profiles on various social networks.

Text last edited on: 06/2020

Finding accommodation

In Slovenia, advertisements for the purchase, sale and renting of property are published on estate agents’ websites, usually in Slovenian.

No restrictions or special conditions apply to the purchase and renting of property by citizens of the EU and the EEA. You need a valid identity document in order to rent a property and sign a rental agreement. Rents usually cover only the rental of the property (in most cases furnished) and exclude bills. The rent for an apartment does not usually include running costs (electricity, gas, water, heating, telephone), which are paid by the tenant in addition to the rent. The landlord arranges the registration of the tenancy contract and pays the associated tax liabilities.

The average price of used housing in Slovenia was EUR 1 810/m2 in the first half of 2019. The highest purchase or rental prices are in the capital, Ljubljana (EUR 2 780 per m2), and its immediate surrounding areas, as well as in the coastal region and in tourist areas (Koper EUR 2 440 per m2). Property prices are lowest in the Koroška, Zasavje and Pomurje regions. The prices of used housing were below the Slovenian average in Maribor and Celje (EUR 1 320 per m2 and EUR 1 280 per m2 respectively). In the first half of 2019, the prices of houses with accompanying land was highest in Ljubljana, where, on average, they fluctuated around the EUR 290 000.

Property prices and rents for apartments depend on their size, location, furnishings and the age of the housing unit.

Text last edited on: 06/2020

Recognition of diplomas and qualifications

The importance of transparency and mutual recognition of diplomas as a crucial complement to the free movement of workers

The possibility of obtaining recognition of one’s qualifications and competences can play a vital role in the decision to take up work in another EU country. It is therefore necessary to develop a European system that will guarantee the mutual acceptance of professional competences in different Member States. Only such a system will ensure that a lack of recognition of professional qualifications will become an obstacle to workers’ mobility within the EU.

Main principles for the recognition of professional qualifications in the EU

As a basic principle, any EU citizen should be able to freely practice their profession in any Member State. Unfortunately the practical implementation of this principle is often hindered by national requirements for access to certain professions in the host country.

For the purpose of overcoming these differences, the EU has set up a system for the recognition of professional qualifications. Within the terms of this system, a distinction is made between regulated professions (professions for which certain qualifications are legally required) and professions that are not legally regulated in the host Member State.

Steps towards a transparency of qualifications in Europe

The European Union has taken important steps towards the objective of achieving transparency of qualifications in Europe:
- An increased co-operation in vocational education and training, with the intention to combine all instruments for transparency of certificates and diplomas, in one single, user-friendly tool. This includes, for example, the European CV or Europass Trainings.
- The development of concrete actions in the field of recognition and quality in vocational education and training.

Going beyond the differences in education and training systems throughout the EU

Education and training systems in the EU Member States still show substantial differences. The last enlargements of the EU, with different educational traditions, have further increased this diversity. This calls for a need to set up common rules to guarantee recognition of competences.

In order to overcome this diversity of national qualification standards, educational methods and training structures, the European Commission has put forward a series of instruments, aimed at ensuring better transparency and recognition of qualifications both for academic and professional purposes.

  1. The European Qualifications Framework

The European Qualifications Framework is a key priority for the European Commission in the process of recognition of professional competences. The main objective of the framework is to create links between the different national qualification systems and guarantee a smooth transfer and recognition of diplomas.

  1. The National Academic Recognition Information Centres (NARICs)

A network of National Academic Recognition Information Centres was established in 1984 at the initiative of the European Commission. The NARICs provide advice on the academic recognition of periods of study abroad. Located in all EU Member States as well as in the countries of the European Economic Area, NARICs play a vital role the process of recognition of qualifications in the EU.

  1. The European Credit Transfer System (ECTS)

The European Credit Transfer System aims at facilitating the recognition of periods of study abroad. Introduced in 1989, it functions by describing an education programme and attaching credits to its components. It is a key complement to the highly acclaimed student mobility programme Erasmus.

  1. Europass

Europass is an instrument for ensuring the transparency of professional skills. It is composed of five standardised documents

  • a CV (Curriculum Vitae),
  • a language passport,
  • certificate supplements,
  • diploma supplements, and
  • a Europass-Mobility document.

The Europass system makes skills and qualifications clearly and easily understood in the different parts of Europe. In every country of the European Union and the European Economic Area, national Europass centres have been established as the primary contact points for people seeking for information about the Europass system.

Text last edited on: 06/2020

Types of employment

This area is regulated by collective agreements and general acts of the employer, as well as by the Employment Act (ZDR-1).

Any employer wishing to recruit new employees must publish a vacancy. Vacancies may be published with the Employment Service of Slovenia, in the media, on websites or in publicly accessible business premises. Published vacancies must include details of the employer, details of the job and the job requirements, and must also indicate how to apply and the application deadline, which must not be less than 3 days.

Before work commences, you must enter into a written employment contract with the employer. The minimum age for employment is 15. An employment relationship is either fixed-term or permanent, full-time or part-time. In an employment contract, employers may also specify a probationary period of up to 6 months.

After signing an employment contract, the employer is required to register you for compulsory social insurance (pension and disability insurance, health insurance, parental care insurance and unemployment insurance) from the day you start working under the employment contract, and to provide you with a photocopy of the registration (M-1 form) within 15 days of the day you started work

Apprenticeships and traineeships are conducted only at those employers for which the relevant provision is made in a special law or collective agreement for a specific sector (state institutions, healthcare, the education system, etc.). The pilot introduction of apprenticeships will last for 3 academic years, from 1 September 2017 to 30 August 2020. Apprenticeships will be introduced gradually: in four education programmes in the first year, with new programmes being added every year.

Slovenian legislation also recognises several special forms of employment for one-off, occasional or short-term work, e.g. work performed on the basis of civil law contracts (such as work contracts or copyright contracts) and work performed on the basis of a referral from the student employment service. It also recognises occasional or temporary work by retired persons, personal supplementary work or short-term work. You can also obtain a special status that allows you to pursue certain activities on an independent basis (e.g. as a farmer, independent culture worker, journalist) without having to establish a company or enter a relationship of employment.

In Slovenia, the needs for seasonal workers in agriculture are mainly for strawberry picking, working in hop gardens and for thinning and pruning fruit trees in springtime; harvesting and production of vegetables in summer time; fruit picking in autumn (e.g. apples, grapes). Majority of offers are in the North East and East Slovenia. Seasonal work in agriculture follows the civil law (Agriculture Law). Workers obtain special contracts for temporary and occasional work in agriculture. In addition, elements of the Employment Relationship Act are respected (e.g. prohibition of discrimination, equal treatment, prohibition of child labour, working hours, breaks and rest) and the elements of the regulations regarding the occupational safety and health are respected. Workers are included in health, pension and disability insurance. 

There are also needs for seasonal work in tourism. Mainly in the summertime: waiters, cooks, chefs, chambermaid etc. and also in the wintertime: waiters, cooks, chambermaid, ski-instructors etc. These jobs are usually carried out by workers working on the employment contract with the definite time according to the Employment Relationship Act and also by students (student work).

More info:

Agriculture Law: http://www.pisrs.si/Pis.web/pregledPredpisa?id=ZAKO4716 

Job offers in seasonal agriculture: https://sezonanakmetiji.si/prikaz-objavljenih-del/# 

Text last edited on: 09/2020

Top of Form

Employment contract

The Employment Act (ZDR-1) stipulates the elements/information that an employment contract must contain: the contracting parties, the job title, the place of work, the period for which the contract is concluded, whether it is for full-time or part-time work, the daily or weekly working time and the distribution of working time, the amount of basic pay and any other remuneration, the payment period, the day of payment and the method of payment of wages, annual leave, the period of notice, and information on the relevant collective agreement or employer’s articles of association. An employment contract must be drawn up in written form.

After you sign the employment contract, the employer is required to register you for health insurance, pension/disability insurance and unemployment insurance from the day you start working under the employment contract.

Any provisions in an employment contract that violate the regulations, an existing collective agreement or the employer’s articles of association are invalid.

If there is a change to the job title or details of the type of work, the place of work, the duration of the employment contract or the weekly/monthly working time (full or part-time employment), the employer must terminate the employment contract and offer you a new employment contract to sign.

Fixed-term employment is concluded through a fixed-term employment contract.

You may also conclude a special employment contract with an employer that provides labour to another employer in accordance with the rules governing the labour market.

If you sign a part-time employment contract, you enjoy the rights and obligations deriving from the employment pro rata.

If you are employed as a manager or a special authorised person with powers of procuration, you may agree different rights, obligations and responsibilities deriving from the employment in your employment contract as regards the conditions and restrictions of fixed-term employment, working time, the provision of breaks and rest periods, remuneration, disciplinary liability and termination of the employment contract.

Work contracts or copyright contracts

Work based on a work contract or copyright contract is governed by civil law and generally involves a written agreement on the work performed, deadlines and payment. Under a work contract, the provider undertakes to perform a particular task, such as the manufacture or repair of an item or the provision of physical or intellectual work, etc., while the contracting entity undertakes to pay the provider for such work. A work contract is an appropriate form of contract for one-off work or craft work. Providers of work and material working under such contracts pay their pension and disability insurance contributions, while the contracting entity pays health insurance contributions. Non-resident foreigners may conclude a work contract, receive payments to a bank account at a Slovenian bank and pay their taxes using an allocated tax number, which they obtain from a tax office.

Under a copyright contract, the author undertakes to produce a certain work and deliver it to the contracting entity, while the contracting entity undertakes to pay the author a fee for such work. The copyright contract covers copyrighted work relating to literature, science and arts. It is subject to payments of health insurance contributions and the pension and disability insurance. The paying entity insures the individual against accidents at work and occupational diseases. If you perform work under a work contract or a copyright contract, the contracting entity is not obliged to insure you against unemployment or to provide you with parental protection insurance.

Student work

Work based on a referral from the student employment service can be performed by pupils and students enrolled at a Slovenian educational establishment, or by students and pupils from European Economic Area countries who acquire such status on the basis of international student exchange projects. For work based on a referral from the student employment service, the minimum gross hourly rate for temporary and occasional work by secondary school and university students is EUR 5.40. Students and pupils also have social insurance (pension/disability insurance and special contributions for health insurance, whereas the contribution for insurance against injury at work and occupational diseases is calculated in a different way).

Personal supplementary work

Personal supplementary work is when individuals personally perform work in a household or similar work, or other small-scale work that can only be carried out for another person, when they produce art and craft articles or other items that are made manually at home or by predominantly traditional methods and sell them, or when they pick and sell wild fruit and herbs. If you wish to perform personal supplementary work, you must notify the Agency of the Republic of Slovenia for Public Legal Records (AJPES) via the web portal using a qualified digital certificate, or notify the administrative unit of your registered place of residence in person. You may perform supplementary work only on the basis of a voucher bearing your name. The value of each voucher is set at a flat rate of EUR 9.80: EUR 7.62 for pension and disability insurance and EUR 2.18 for health insurance and insurance against injury at work and occupational diseases. Aggregate income from personal supplementary work in a given half of a calendar year may not exceed three times the average monthly net salary in Slovenia in the previous calendar year.

Text last edited on: 06/2020

Working time

Working time is the actual working time plus the 30-minute break and the time taken up by legitimate absences from work.

Full working time is fixed on a weekly basis and usually amounts to 40 hours a week. It can be shorter, but not less than 36 hours a week. Where there is an increased risk of injury or harm to health, full working time may be less than 36 hours a week. Full working hours may not be spread over less than 4 days a week.

The employer must give employees prior written notice if they have to perform overtime, and must pay them accordingly. However, overtime is limited to a maximum of 8 hours a week, 20 hours a month or 170 hours a year. Exceptionally, and with the worker's approval, overtime of up to 230 hours a year is allowed in certain sectors, e.g. healthcare, but this has to be stipulated in the collective agreement for a particular sector or a particular profession. You are entitled to a rest period of at least 12 uninterrupted hours every 24 hours. The weekly rest period must last at least 24 uninterrupted hours.

You are entitled to a special supplement for overtime work and for working at less convenient times (night work, work on public holidays and other non-working days).

Employers are not allowed to require certain protected categories of employees (pregnant women, older workers, workers in especially hazardous jobs, etc.) to do overtime.

Where full working time is organised in an irregular manner or temporarily re-organised, working time may not exceed 56 hours a week. This type of arrangement may not continue for more than 6 months. Night work is work performed between 11 pm and 6 am. Where the organisation of working time leads to the introduction of a night shift, night work comprises 8 continuous hours between 10 p.m. and 7 a.m. The working time of a night worker may not last over 8 hours a day on average (average calculated over a 4-month period). Night work is prohibited for workers aged under 18, pregnant women and nursing mothers. There are restrictions on overtime and night work for older workers.

In the event of a violation of labour law, contact the relevant trade union or the Labour Inspectorate.

Text last edited on: 06/2020

Leave (annual leave, parental leave, etc.)


You acquire the right to annual leave when you sign an employment contract. The Employment Relationship Act (ZDR-1) stipulates that you are entitled to annual leave of at least 4 weeks in every calendar year, regardless of whether you work full-time or part-time. If you enter into an employment contract or your employment contract is terminated during a calendar year and your period of employment in that calendar year is less than 1 year, you are entitled to the corresponding amount of annual leave.

Different circumstances (such as age, disability, children, physical disability and care for a child who requires special care) are the basis for acquiring additional days of annual leave. Employees are also entitled to additional days of annual leave on the basis of criteria established in collective agreements or the employer’s articles of association, and such additional days are set out in the employment contract.

An employee who signs a part-time employment contract can claim leave rights in proportion to the working time laid down in the contract.

Every employee entitled to annual leave also has the right to holiday pay, which must be at least equivalent to the minimum wage and should be paid, in principle, by no later than 1 July of the year in question, except where a collective agreement stipulates otherwise. If you are entitled to only a proportionate part of annual leave, you are also entitled to the corresponding amount of holiday pay (one twelfth thereof for every month of work).

Your employer must allow you to take annual leave before the end of the current year. You must take at least two weeks of annual leave by the end of the calendar year and, by agreement with the employer, the remainder by 30 June the following year.

National holidays and non-working days in Slovenia in 2020 are as follows:

1 and 2 January: New Year

8 February: Prešeren Day (Slovenian cultural holiday)

13 April: Easter Monday

27 April: Resistance Day

1 and 2 May: May Day

25 June: Statehood Day

15 August: Feast of the Assumption

31 October: Reformation Day

1 November: All Saints’ Day

25 December: Christmas Day

26 December: Independence and Unity Day

Absence from work

You are entitled to up to 7 working days of paid leave per calendar year for personal reasons (own wedding, death of spouse, child or parent, serious accident).

You are entitled to be absent from work in the event of temporary incapacity to work due to illness or injury or in order to donate blood or to fulfil other obligations such as military exercises, jury service, etc.

An employee enrolled in education or training is entitled to a period of leave in order to prepare for or sit examinations. Unless stipulated otherwise by a collective agreement, an employment contract or a special education contract, you are entitled to paid leave on the days you sit an examination for the first time.

Maternity leave

Maternity leave, which lasts 105 days, is intended for pregnant women so that they can prepare for childbirth and then care for their child in the period immediately after birth. In order to be entitled to maternity leave, you must have parental protection insurance. Mothers start their maternity leave 28 days before the expected date of delivery. Paternity leave is intended for fathers, allowing them to care for their child in its infancy together with the mother. Fathers are entitled to 30 days of paternity leave. Fathers must take 15 days of paternity leave 1 month after the end of parental leave; they receive compensation in the amount of 90 % of their salary for these days. They are entitled to take another 15 paid days of paternity leave; this may be taken at any time between the end of parental leave and the end of the child’s first year at primary school. Parental leave may be taken by the mother or the father under certain conditions (each of them is entitled to 130 days, and the mother can take the father’s 130 days as well, while the father may take only 100 days of the mother’s entitlement), or by another person after the end of maternity leave. It is intended for the provision of childcare and lasts 260 calendar days.

Text last edited on: 06/2020


The minimum gross wage for full-time work is EUR 940.85. Employers have to comply with the minimum wage laid down by law or a collective agreement specific to the activity, under which they must pay at least the minimum wage. The minimum wage does not include: all years-of-service bonuses, work and business performance bonuses, bonuses for difficult working conditions, or bonuses for night work, Sunday work or work on national holidays and other non-working days as defined by law.

Payment for work under an employment contract comprises a salary, which is always in monetary form, and any other types of remuneration if provided for by a collective agreement. The salary consists of basic pay, performance-related pay and supplements (for night work, overtime, Sunday work, work on holidays and years of service). Basic pay is the fixed part and is determined according to the demands of the work for which the employee has concluded an employment contract. Performance-related pay is also a constituent part of remuneration if agreed in a collective agreement or an employment contract.

Employers must reimburse employees for the costs of subsistence during work, for travel to and from work, and for any costs which they incur in performing specific work and tasks while travelling for work purposes. Employees who are entitled to annual leave must receive annual holiday pay from their employer which is at least equivalent to the minimum wage.

An employee whose employment is terminated in ordinary procedure by their employer for business reasons or incompetence is entitled to a severance payment. The employee is also entitled to a severance payment upon the expiry of a fixed-term employment contract, upon retirement and upon extraordinary termination by the employee for a breach committed by the employer (non-payment of salary or contributions, etc.).

An employee and an employer may agree that the employee shall have the right to a share of the profits in a given financial year.

The salary is paid for periods that may not be longer than 1 month, on a previously agreed day in the month and no later than by the 18th day after the end of the payment period.

The employer is obliged to issue a written payslip to the worker upon each salary payment. The employer must also issue a breakdown of pay, taxes and contributions for the previous calendar year by 31 January of the new calendar year. The payslip must include the following in particular: the worker’s basic pay, supplements, any performance-related pay, salary compensation by type, gross and net pay, social security contributions and personal income tax.

Text last edited on: 06/2020

Termination of employment

The methods of terminating an employment contract vary depending on whether the worker has a fixed-term or open-ended contract, whether the contract is annulled by agreement or if notice of termination is given by one party.

A fixed-term employment contract expires without a period of notice at the end of the period for which it was concluded.

The contracting parties may annul a contract at any time by written agreement or if one of the contracting parties gives notice of termination. The termination of an employment contract may take place under an ‘ordinary’ or ‘extraordinary’ procedure. An employment contract is terminated by a written agreement between the parties. When the employment relationship is terminated, your employer must inform you in writing of your rights under unemployment insurance. Failure to provide such information does not affect the validity of the termination agreement.

Ordinary termination

The contracting parties (employee and employer) terminate an employment contract by providing the statutory period of notice (between 15 and 80 days). An employer may terminate an employment contract on business-related grounds (for economic, organisational, technological, structural or similar reasons, there is no longer any need to perform the specific work under the terms and conditions set out in the employment contract), on grounds of employee incompetence (failure to achieve the expected performance at work),

and on grounds of fault (breach of contractual obligations or failure to discharge other employment-related obligations, e.g. change of job title, change of place of work, change of time scheduling for the performance of tasks, business reasons meaning that the job is no longer required, failure to achieve the expected performance at work).

If your employer gives you ordinary notice of termination of your contract for business reasons or reasons of incompetence, they may offer you a new employment contract.

Extraordinary termination

An employer may terminate your employment contract using an extraordinary procedure for various reasons, e.g. if you fail to meet your contractual obligations and such failure is a prima facie criminal offence, if you fail deliberately or through serious negligence to meet contractual or other liabilities arising from your employment relationship, if you fail to come to work on 5 successive days without justifying your absence, or if you fail to follow the instructions of the competent doctor while on leave on grounds of illness or injury.

You may terminate your employment contract in extraordinary procedure for various reasons, e.g. if your employer has failed to provide you with work for over 2 months and has also failed to pay you for work, if you have been unable to work on account of a prohibition imposed by an inspectorate on carrying out a procedure, or if your employer has failed to safeguard your health and safety at work or has failed to guarantee equal treatment for both sexes.

The minimum notice period is 15 days and the maximum is 80 days.

Depending on the reasons for the termination of your employment contract (termination by the employer or the expiry of a fixed-term contract), you are entitled to the rights under the unemployment insurance, which you can claim at the relevant labour office.

During the employment termination procedure, you can contact a relevant trade union or labour inspectorate to find out about and discuss your rights. You may also notify the inspectorate of any infringement you believe to have occurred. A labour and social court has the jurisdiction to solve any labour-related disputes.


The right to an old-age pension depends on a person’s age and the length of their pensionable service. In 2020 the right to an old-age pension is acquired by any person, regardless of sex, who reaches the age of 65 and has completed a period of insurance of at least 15 years, or by any person who reaches the age of 60 and has completed a period of insurance of 40 years without buy-back. The age limits for acquiring the right to an old-age pension may be reduced to take account of the following: child care, the serving of a compulsory period of military service, or the commencement of compulsory pension and disability insurance prior to reaching the age of 18.

An insured person is entitled to a disability pension if they are disabled and if they meet certain other conditions, where the disability is confirmed by the Disability Committee of the Pension and Disability Insurance Institute of Slovenia. This committee classifies the insured person into one of three categories based on their capacity for work. The right to a disability pension is granted to an insured person who:

  • has a Category I or Category II disability, if they are not able to find other suitable work without occupational rehabilitation, which is not made available to the person concerned because they are over 55 years of age;
  • has a Category II disability and is not capable of performing other work with shorter working hours (at least 4 hours a day) without occupational rehabilitation, which is not made available to the person concerned because they are over 50 years of age;
  • has a Category II or Category III disability and is not provided with suitable employment or reassignment because they have reached the age of 65.

Text last edited on: 06/2020

Healthcare system

Primary healthcare in Slovenia is provided by healthcare centres, private practitioners, various specialists, therapists, care providers and pharmacies.

Healthcare centres offer preventive care (for adults, children, young people), emergency medical services, home care, general medicine, healthcare for women, children and young people, and laboratory and other diagnostic services. You are free to choose your own general practitioner, dentist and gynaecologist. Almost every sizeable town has access to public and private pharmacies offering medicines, other pharmaceutical products and medical accessories.

Specialist outpatient services cover diagnosis, treatment and medical rehabilitation, care, accommodation and food. Hospitals are either general or specialist. Your general practitioner refers you to a hospital, except in the case of emergency medical assistance.

Compulsory health insurance does not fully cover all healthcare services. It is recommended to take out supplementary health insurance with an insurance company offering this insurance to cover the difference up to the full cost of the services. Children who are covered by compulsory insurance as family members do not require supplementary health insurance, as their compulsory health insurance covers the provision of all healthcare services.

Your doctor may prescribe medicines needed for treatment that are classified on the relevant lists of drugs, using a green prescription form with the proprietary name. The bill for this is covered partly or fully by compulsory health insurance. If you have supplementary health insurance, the difference up to the full price of the drug is covered. Reimbursement of the costs for drugs prescribed on a white prescription form may not be claimed under compulsory health insurance; reimbursement is possible only in exceptional circumstances, namely for drugs used to treat serious illnesses that cannot be obtained in Slovenia and have no suitable replacements. Prescriptions and referrals are also issued in electronic form. This ‘e-Recept’, or e-prescription, is sent to the pharmacy at which you are to collect the medicinal product after presenting your health insurance card.

The extent of coverage of health services and public healthcare providers is set annually by the Ministry of Health. In cases where full payment for the service is not provided (e.g. organ transplant, dental prosthesis, non-essential operations and fertility treatment), a certain percentage of the costs is covered (the patient is informed about this before the planned procedure commences).

Disabled persons and those on low incomes enjoy special relief when paying supplements for healthcare services.

You can claim the necessary healthcare services in Slovenia using the European Health Insurance Card or another suitable certificate, or the health insurance card issued to everyone insured under the compulsory health insurance scheme in Slovenia. 

The telephone number for emergency medical assistance and the ambulance service is 112.

Text last edited on: 06/2020

Incomes and taxation

If you are permanently or temporarily resident in Slovenia or if you create taxable income on national territory or if you own taxable movable or immovable property, you are a taxable person and need your own tax number.

Income tax is the tax on the income of natural persons. Income tax is charged for income arising from: employment, activities, performing agricultural or forestry activities, pensions, capital and leasing out property. Persons liable for income tax pay a monthly advance from their remuneration, which is taken into account in the final income tax assessment.

In addition to income tax, individuals in Slovenia pay taxes, contributions and other compulsory duties, such as inheritance and gift tax, tax on real estate sales, tax on winnings accrued through games of chance, motor vehicle tax, tax on interest, a compensation fee for the use of building land, environmental levies, and social security contributions.

In January 2019 the average monthly gross salary in Slovenia was EUR 1 806.50 (equivalent to EUR 1 172.56 net). The level of social security contributions for persons in employment amounts to: 22.10 % of the base (payable by employees) and 16.1 % of the base (payable by employers). These are contributions for pension and disability insurance, health insurance, parental care insurance, unemployment insurance, and insurance against injury at work and occupational diseases.

Prepayment of income tax is calculated progressively during the year on all receipts as a deduction of tax at the rates of 16 %, 26 %, 33 %, 39 % and 50 % for the income tax bracket depending on your tax base. The annual tax base from the income received by a resident in a tax year is the sum of tax bases from income from employment, income from an activity, income from the performance of an agricultural or forestry activity, income from the letting of property, income from the transfer of property rights and from other income, including the increases and reductions specified for the type of income in question. Slovenia has a general tax allowance and other special (personal) allowances; the latter are granted to disabled persons, secondary school or university students who receive income from work through the student employment service, and to persons with dependants. A tax allowance is also granted to persons who have voluntary supplementary pension insurance.

When the fiscal year is over, the Financial Administration sends a provisional income tax assessment to your address by the end of May, based on data provided by the payers of your earnings, requests for special tax allowances, and capital gains assessment returns submitted in due time. If you agree with the provisional assessment, it becomes a final assessment, e.g. a decision, and therefore the basis for payment or for the refund for any shortfall in or surplus of income tax payments.

Value added tax (VAT) is paid on goods transactions, service transactions and the import of goods. The general rate is 22 %. The lower VAT rate of 9.5 % is charged on food, water supply, medicines, medicinal products, medical equipment, passenger transport, books and newspapers, tickets for cultural and sports events, imports of works of art and antiques, etc.

Text last edited on: 06/2020

Education system

The education system is mainly organised as a public service under which public and private institutions, and private operators that have been granted a concession, provide publicly approved programmes.

Parents may enrol their child in a public or private nursery school that provides pre-school education from the time the child reaches 11 months of age until they enter compulsory education. Parents can choose between various programmes offered by a given nursery school. Public nursery schools enrol and accept children throughout the year on the basis of applications, provided that there are vacancies. Kindergartens provide pre-school educational programmes throughout the year.

Compulsory primary school education in Slovenia is organised as a complete 9-year primary school programme. It is free of charge and lasts from age of 6 to the age of 15. It is provided by public and private primary schools, as well as education institutions for children with special needs. Secondary education is divided up into general, lower vocational, vocational and secondary professional and technical education. Secondary education lasts between 2 and 5 years, with children generally enrolling at the age of 15. The school year lasts from 1 September to 24 June. Lessons for secondary school students in their final year end in the second half of May. Lessons are held 5 days a week (Monday to Friday).

Lower vocational education programmes last for 2 years and are aimed at pupils who have completed their primary school requirements and successfully completed at least the seventh year of the 9-year primary school programme, or who have completed primary school education under an adapted programme. Upon completion of lower vocational education, students are qualified for basic occupations. A final examination certificate enables a student to find employment or to enrol in the first year of a secondary vocational education programme.

Secondary vocational education lasts 3 years and finishes with a final examination that allows the student to find employment or continue their education. Secondary professional and technical education lasts 4 years and finishes with a vocational matura (school leaving) examination. This allows the student to enrol in tertiary vocational study courses. The general education (gimnazija) programme is the basis for further study at university. Slovenia has general and vocational high school programmes, with the former being provided by general and classical high schools and the latter by technical, economic and art high schools.

Tertiary education in Slovenia includes short-cycle higher technical education and higher education. Short-cycle higher education is provided by public and private higher vocational colleges. These practically oriented programmes last 2 years. Higher education is provided by public and private universities and other higher education institutions, and is carried out at university faculties, art academies and professional colleges. Courses at all higher education institutions are provided on the basis of the updated Bologna study programmes. First-cycle study programmes are university programmes and professional college programmes, while second-cycle study programmes are Master’s programmes. Graduates gain a diploma and a vocational or academic title. Study programmes are organised as regular or part-time programmes. The academic year runs from 1 October to 30 September. The language of instruction in higher education institutions is Slovenian, although certain study programmes are taught in English, Croatian or Serbian.

Enrolment is possible in the following higher education institutions in Slovenia in the 2019/20 academic year: Euro-Mediterranean University, Nova Univerza (New University), University of Primorska, University of Ljubljana, University of Maribor, University of Novo Mesto, University of Nova Gorica, as well as a number of independent higher education institutions. After completing a higher education professional or first-cycle university study programme, graduates can continue their education in postgraduate Master’s professional courses and, later, in courses to obtain the title of doctor of science. The exception to this are the standard second-cycle professional courses, for example in medicine, veterinary science, pharmacy and theology.

Text last edited on: 06/2020

Cultural and social life

Cultural life in Slovenia is very dynamic. The country has two national opera and ballet houses (Ljubljana, Maribor) and a large number of theatres (Maribor, Ljubljana, Nova Gorica, Kranj). Non-state-run theatres are also popular.

The most important institutions in the area of the fine arts are the Narodna Galerija (National Gallery) and the Moderna Galerija (Museum of Modern Art), both in Ljubljana, and Pilonova Galerija (Pilon Gallery) in Ajdovščina. For classical music, the best-known orchestras are the Slovenska Filharmonija (Slovenian Philharmonic Orchestra) and the Simfonični orkester RTV Slovenija (RTV Slovenija Symphony Orchestra).

Slovenia has a rich and diverse network of cultural organisations and associations, and a large number of performances and events take place in the tourist areas of Slovenia every year. These include a very large number of small-scale local events featuring stories from everyday life, customs of work and life, and history. Some of these traditional events include the Jurjevanje, Kurentovanje and Furmanski Praznik festivals, national costume days, jousting, etc. Slovenia is also a land of choirs, folk groups and wind instrument bands. Sports lovers can enjoy the traditional annual ski jumping and ski flying competitions, as well as other skiing competitions.

The most popular individual sports are mountaineering, rock climbing, mountain climbing, skiing, swimming, running and cycling, and the main team sports are football, handball, basketball and volleyball. Participation in marathons is also very popular. Adults and children alike can join sports clubs, which offer a wide range of recreational programmes. The construction and modernisation of sports facilities are financed by the state or local community. Many facilities are also privately owned. Slovenia has a large number of sports clubs. Some of the most popular forms of family recreation, particularly at weekends between May and November, are mountain climbing and family excursions to the surrounding countryside.

Slovenia also has a long tradition of voluntary fire brigades.

Text last edited on: 06/2020


Nothing found!

Get up-to-date information on EURES services